If you are unable reasonably to keep up your payments or other obligations because of illness, injury, loss of employment, the end of a relationship, or other reasonable cause, you may be able to apply to the creditor for a hardship variation.

To apply for a hardship variation, you need to:

  1. Make an application in writing; and
  2. Explain your reason(s) for the application; and
  3. Request one of the following:
    (a) an extension of the term of the contract (which will reduce the amount of each payment due under the contract); or
    (b) a postponement of the dates on which payments are due under the contract (specify the period for which you want this to apply); or
    (c) both of the above; and
    (d) give the application to the creditor.
    Do this as soon as possible. If you leave it too long, the creditor may not have to consider your application.